Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Creating and Staying on Budget

A few tips to brides on how to create and stay on budget... 

First, have a budget and be very specific on what is and is not in the budget.  Does it include the cost of the the dress and alterations, hair & make up for the bridal party, tuxedo rentals, gifts for the bridesmaids and groomsmen? Also, what about the items the groom's family typically pays for?  

When I work with brides I create a very detailed spreadsheet which includes everything right down to the postage for the invitations and reply envelopes before we sign a contract.  When I have a bride who tells me her budget is 45K for 125 guests I put together a detailed budget which includes everything she wants and in a mid-range price, i.e., designer linens, a three-course meal, lovely flowers,  etc. so that when it comes to choosing vendors she doesn't have to do an "upgrade" on everything to get what she wants.

I will allocate the appropriate amount of money to the items that are most important to her and get savvy on the necessary, but less important items. I strongly recommend that before a bride signs with any wedding planner, she has them show (in detail) how they will stay on budget. My goal is to agree upon a detailed budget before signing a contract so once that has been established the planning process is enjoyable, not stressful. If I can't give a bride what she wants within her budget I will be the first to tell her so. However, I rarely find this necessary once we have had a chance to go over all of the costs related to having a wedding line by line.

Sometimes the golden horse drawn carriage has to go but I promise to get the bride to the church on time and in style.
 
Christina Baxter
CiBi Events
202.280.8481
 

www.CiBiEvents.com

No comments:

Post a Comment